Tuesday, August 08, 2006

New Books and More Movies

Hey there! I popped into Virgin last night and I bought two new books. They are both by a Kuwaiti writer: Haithem Boodai. One is a prize winning novel titled "The Road to Karachi" and the other is a compilation of short stories titled "The Palms". I wanted something to read and I thought "Hey thats something new, lets try this out" So I'll read them and I'll tell you how it was....

I also watched quite a few movies this past week...
Alive (starring Ethan Hawk) A movie based on the true events of a plane carrying a rugby team and their family and friends which crashes in the Andes mountains. They story shows how they fight for survival and how they find God in that isolation. A touching story I thought. Good movie.

Pride and Prejudice (starring Keira Knightly,Matthew Macfadyen) I don't think that this story needs introduction (grabbing long cane just incase) It is only one of the best love stories EVER! LOL Anyway, it was fun watching this version although I didn't like as much as the BBC one starring Colin Firth (swoooooons) I thought I wasn't going to like this Mr. Darcy but he wasn't bad...at all! Oh yes, and I don't see why Keira was nominated for the best actress oscar for this role...she wasn't THAT good?! Oh well..! Watch it :)

Poseidon (starring Kurt Russell) A huge ship is turned over by a huge tidal wave on new years eve. The people who were in the ballroom are safe in the sealed air-bubble that it is, but for how long?! A group of passenger decide to take action themselves and head up to the surface. Hmm, it was OK.. A few "how did that happen?"'s and "where did that come from?"'s :P I would say a good TV movie but I can't because it had some amazing scenery and cool shots and stuff...

11 comments:

AnGeL said...

hi there :)
tell me what you think about the books cauz i saw them and planing to get one of Mr. Darcy AGAIN !! let go of the man ;p lol

have fun :)

Reel Fanatic said...

I preferred the new Pride & Prejudice, mostly for la bella Keira Knightley and, because I have a short attention span, it was shorter and funnier

Bella Color said...

Gotta get me the books that u r reading... I support local writers! :)

Reading pride and prejudice is much more enjoyable then watching the movie!

F. said...

Angel: Ok..I'll keep you informed about the books and YES MR DARCY AGAIN! I can't help it...he's just soooooooooo....! Don't get me started ok! LOL

Reel Fanatic: It WAS good, I mean, the directing and the way the camera moved around and the music and everything was just great...but as an adaptation the 1995 one was closer to the actual novel. It was long because it was a TV series..I keep looking for it on DVD but to no avail...any suggestions??

Bella Color: Its nice to read different stuff..to get a wider picture of whats going on..
Its true that almost all novel-turned-movies, the novels are better! But for me the two things are just two different things, each give a different experiences/sensation...ofcoarse when its in your head (when reading) you can go over board so its great!
UFF GARGA!

Anonymous said...

Oh ya I have seen those two movies in the cinema when I was in Bahrain. Good ones ;)

jiji said...

emm... were the books good? i need to kill time.. read stuff.. be edjucated and all ya know ;]

do u have other suggestions?

F. said...

Cece: They were, weren't they?

Jiji: Hi! Welcome to my blog! Well, I haven't finished them yet so come back soon for a full review...as for other suggestion...how about 100 years of solitude...everyone says its like a must read for every single human being :P I haven't read it because I'm scared of its depth and seriousness..I was gonna buy it the other day bas I postponed it yet again! Madri shfeeni..
UFFFF GARGAAAAAAA!

jiji said...

lol garga :P la 3adee :P

lol care to chat on msn :P am bored :P add me :P

hallikulani@hotmail.com

Dakhtour said...

I don't have time to read books but i have all the time to watch movies and T.v shows :)

Hmmm didn't hear of Alive... Seems it is a good movie since it has Ethan Hawk in it

Pride and Prejudice... I watched the one with Aishwaria Ray in it... I thinks it's the same story and i really liked that one

Posidon was good but i expect another Titanic actually :)

Cool post ;)

Shwaish said...

hmm nice selection, and yeah do tell us how the books were, i need books as well, and a5eeran i could access ur blog!! and fe like a million posts ba3ad, i will read them but not comment hehhehee and yaaaay fe aurora again :p

F. said...

Jiji: OK...

Zizo: Hi Zizo! Nice to see you. Come on...you must have sometime to read, before you sleep is a good time!
Alive is a good movie...spiritual too in a way.
What you're talking about is Bride and Prejudice....was good was it? I'll watch it some time then.
And Posiedon certainly wasn't another Titanic...it was ok
Thanks for the compliment and I hope to see you around again.

Princess: No wonder you haven't been around here lately...anyway, nice to have you back!

Orange Juice: Oh yeah...I saw that movie ages ago..hehe!